It's not your birthday or any special occasion. It's just that several times in the past couple weeks I've thought about how pleased I am with you...how just absolutely tickled to death I am with who you are...how completely overjoyed I am to be your mama. So, I decided I wanted to tell you about it.
I love it that...
- Last Sunday at lunch you reached out to hold Mommy's hand when we prayed, even though it was short-lived. I want you to be a man of prayer someday and to know that you can always be in conversation with God.
- When we picked you up at Grandpa & Grandma G's last Saturday, you ran over just to give me a kiss. It was such a sweet surprise.
- You sometimes bend down to see eye-to-eye with something or to look under a chair or table for a toy. It's just adorable to see your little body squatting down like that.
- You say "wow!" and "whoa!" over and over again each day because it reminds me that the world is an amazing place to discover, full of good gifts.
- You do funny things that simply make me laugh, like suck on your paci upside down, try to sit on your cousin Tori like a riding toy, always choose the smallest space to squeeze through, fake burp, make tons of faces, always want to see yourself on the camera after I take your picture...I'm sure there are more!
- You say "ball" hundreds of times each day because I always want to know what your favorite things are.
- Your feet make that pitter-patter sound on the floor as you are busy, busy, busy. Sometimes I can't believe how fast it is--like a machine gun! Not only is it just plain funny, but it makes me thankful that you are a healthy, active boy.
- You serve as the "welcoming committee" at the dr. office, library or the grocery store, saying "hi" to everyone or standing as close as you can to them and smiling until they notice you. I pray you'll always make people feel comfortable and bring joy to those around you.
- Every day you learn new things and say new words. I have a front row seat to your discovery of the world. For example, I love it that the other day you said, "Turtle!" and Mommy didn't even know you knew that word. Life with you is full of good surprises.
- You always notice when Mommy is wearing earrings and say "pretty, pretty" (ti,ti).
- You love books and music. You've got great dance moves; Daddy loves the "Sumo Stomp" best. You're such a curious guy and a fast learner! I'm proud of you.
- You're my "right-hand man" when it comes to sweeping the floor (but NOT vacuuming!). The way you always end up in my dirt pile helps me keep perspective and remember that the floor is clean enough for now. There will be lots of years to clean the house (too many!) but only a few that you'll want to be by my side while I sweep.
- You are determined and can tell me what you want. Oh, I know it will bring its challenges, but I love seeing new parts of who you are.
- You still have your "pigeon coo" laugh when you're in awe of something--and I love it that you're in awe of so many things!
- My hug, or just my presence, brings you comfort. Wow. What an honor that is.
Buddy, I'm not joking around when I tell you that being your mom is a dream come true for me. It's not always an easy life, but you bring me such joy! Even on the hard days, this is the journey I want to be on. Sometimes I can't believe that I'm actually at the point in my life where I have a "you"! God has granted my heart's desire, first through Daddy and now through you, Precious Peanut. I thought someday the newness of all this might wear off, but my heart still skips a beat to be reunited with you after a day apart...or even just after your nap! My mouth will always turn up with a grin for you and your antics, even on the worst day. Your little voice is a treat to my ears. I'm so excited to be your mom!
I love you so much, Mason! Just thought you should know that I'm still in awe of you.